Monday 22 January 2018

Lumiere London | January 2018


I went to Lumiere London 2017 and found venturing and looking at the showcased artist's installation completely inspiring. So when I saw the event being promoted for this year I knew I had to attend. I began at Blackfriars, walked along the Southbank all the way to Embankment.

There were a few installations along the Southbank, however I viewed these in the daylight and so unfortunately they did not photograph so well. I knew that by the time I got to Embankment and the sun began to set, that the larger more high profile works, would feature best in the dusk.





Trafalgar Square saw the the centre fountain surrounded by lit up colour changing balloons. Entitled 'Child Hood' form Collectif Coin (France) and co-produced by La Casemate, the balloons moved gently in the evening's breeze, the colours slowly reacting to the soft sound composition that was played throughout the square.

Leister Square saw an equally dreamy installation. The showcase hosted a lit up forest of wonder encasing leaping hares. On lookers had a real feeling of wonder which I can only describe how Alice first felt as she found herself in Wonderland.

Next on my list was Piccadilly Circus in which its main feature was projected on to a building. This was the first installation of the evening that I came across that really used sound to aid its light show. It in-captured the attention of everyone around, who stood in perfect silence until the lights drew dim and the music softened. 

The final location I visited was Westminster Cathedral, which was by far the most modern installation reflective on todays society. The whole showcase was powered by members of the public peddling on bicycles. Every bulb that made up the work was incased in a plastic bottle - truly the most creative way I've seen to re-use a water bottle. 

I had a great time making my way around the City of London, and I am excited to see what next year will have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment